Re: Important tax break

From: Charlie Stross (
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 06:03:08 MDT

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 05:02:38PM -0400, Michael S. Lorrey wrote:
> Brian Atkins wrote:
> >
> > You can escape capital gains on stock sales by rolling over the cash into
> > an investment in a small company:
> >
> >
> You can also do so by rolling the money over into real estate or into
> oil exploration.

Or by being incorporated in, and working in, Holland.

As I understand it, there's no capital gains tax on stock options exercised
by company employees in Holland. (I'm tangentially involved in a bid to set
up a B2B ecommerce outfit that, if it gets its VC together, will be based
in Amsterdam. Income tax is a tad higher than the UK, but you more than make
up for it if you IPO successfully.)

(That's assuming the _other_ start-up I'm involved in doesn't go from being
a shell company and some wild-assed ideas over a pint of beer to being
an IPO rocket. But you all know what the odds on that one are.)

-- Charlie

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Mon Oct 02 2000 - 17:35:15 MDT