Re: Mercury Risk?

From: Spike Jones (
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 20:54:31 MST

> --- Spike Jones <> wrote:
> > If the OSHA limit is 0.1 mg per m^3 and our fillings
> > contributed even half of that, or .05 mg/m^3, then
> > they would be evaporating at 0.1 mg per hour.

Christopher Piersol wrote:

> Your calculation is making too many assumptions here.
> ...To be really
> scientific, of course, there should be more studies,
> not half-hearted calculations. Buzz

This did occur to me, but I was thinking more of
total dosage of mercury over the long haul from
fillings. There was a bigger weakness in my calcs
that no one has hit on yet: what happens if a filling
fails and there is a sudden dose of mercury from
a pocket of higher-than-average concentration of
Hg? That is, what if that machine that shakes up
the mixture somehow leaves a pocket of Hg that
is inside the filling and after a long time it somehow
gets exposed? Does a small but sudden dose of
Hg cause problems more than a steady very low
exposure? Ive only had one filling fail in all the years
Ive had fillings, but who knows? Had I lost 5 or 10
IQ points that week I probably would never
miss em. {8^D

I have been looking all over my office for possible
sources of mercury. Those flourescent tubes, don't
they contain mercury vapor? If so, the tubes eventally
fail, right? Why do they fail? Does the mercury
vapor leak out? Where does it go? And how does
the OSHA know what is the safe level? Are there
other sources of mercury in the home or office? In
retrospect this is a complicated question, and I
hereby give myself and Pooh Bear a good scolding
for our cocksure attitude. {8-] spike and Pooh

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Mon May 28 2001 - 09:59:39 MDT