Re: Singularity: Individual, Borg, Death?

Dan Fabulich (
Fri, 04 Dec 1998 21:09:06 -0500

Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
>> The fallacy is that there are only two probabilities and that they are
> No, just like your argument, there are 2 possibilities, to which you
>can assign probabilities.
> Then you can set your bets. What do you want to bet on your belief???
>>From what I've read of your posts, you seem you want to bet your
>professional life (in a manhattan project), maybe more. Maybe your life,
>maybe humanity.
> I just want to draw your attention on the fact that your logic chain
>to the singularity meme is the -exact- symetrie to pascal's bet.
>> > And, do you currently think that there exist an objective morality?
>> I'd say there's between a 20% and 70% probability. Even 10% would be good
>> enough for the logic to hold both arithmetically and intuitively.
> There is absolutely no objectivity into anything.

This claim is logically incoherent if it is objectively true. (It is objectively true that nothing is objectively true?) And of course, if it isn't, then there must be at least a little objectivity somewhere, objectively speaking.

>What we do, is we
>create models (beliefs, equations, theories, system of memes...) of the
>universe, we invent them, we induce them from observations of the

How can you know anything at all about what WE do when everything is subjective? Maybe YOU do that, while we tap into the truth directly.