MikeRose (
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:17:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Michael Lorrey wrote:

> > arms, and amazingly enough they work for me! Who needs God when we
> > have the Allmighty Placebo. Too bad It can't cure cancer. (Hmm,
> > perhaps it can but it's an undocumented function... ;)
> Here's one I heard: Tape a penny in your belly button....

Why not? I think the issue of placebos is very interesting. I'm sure if
51% of the world actively pursuaded the other 49% that a pill could solve
depression, anxiety or even cancer, then the 49% would receive relief from
symptoms almost instantly.

I'm sure most extropians believe that the state of the body is
inextricably linked with mind state. So why not the `belly-button' cure?

Milk, orange juice, aspirin, tic tacs and plain water have all been used
to 'cure' bad trips.

or have i just let the cat out of the bag?


The author of this email intended to use the E-Prime system.
Reports of violations, and suggestions, would provoke appreciation.