Re: Mercury Risk?

From: Michael Lorrey (
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 11:07:47 MST

Ian Goddard wrote:
> At 10:30 AM 03/07/2001 +0100, Eugene Leitl wrote:
> >
> >The point of amalgam mercury is whether mouth flora can methylate it (so
> >brush your teeth, and don't gargle with methyliodide too frequently, ok?).
> >Age and personal susceptibility is another major factor.
> IAN: But methylmercury is even more toxic:
> "METHYLMERCURY is one of the most toxic forms of mercury
> due to its solubility in fatty tissues, ability to readily
> penetrate membranes in living organisms, and slowness to
> be excreted. Methylmercury is strongly held in brain tissue,
> while metallic mercury has little effect. Methylmercury is
> 5 to 20 times more toxic than inorganic mercury..."

Yes, a woman who was at the time the head of the Dartmouth Chemistry
Department spilled a few drops of methylmercury on her rubber glove
protected hand, and died of methylmercury poisoning damage to her brain
within the year. It penetrated the glove and her skin in a large enough
dosage to kill her.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Mon May 28 2001 - 09:59:39 MDT