Re: Outlawing drug speech - EEK!

From: Robert J. Bradbury (
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 23:59:45 MST

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, phil osborn wrote:

> but if you do something in a foreign country that it legal there, but
> illegal in the U.S., or in your home state, you can be prosecuted when
> you get back, as in the U.S. companies that payed the expected foreign
> backsheesh and then got prosecuted.

As I recall, didn't this require the enactment of some special "laws"?
Then the question becomes how far those laws extend. For example
are their any cases of U.S. citizens being prosecuted for smoking pot
in Amsterdam or going to Australia to visit a "legal" prostitute?
I doubt they can be prosecuted under state or city ordinances, it
would seem that these laws would have to be at the federal level.

I believe in the cases you cite Phil, the obivious solution
is to give up your U.S. citizenship before you get adventurous.
Legally it would seem they would be on very swampy ground trying to
prosecute the activities of non-citizen in foreign lands.
It turns out to be remarkably easy to give up U.S. citizenship
and get citizenship in other countries (with enough $$$).
Then at that point, you simply need either a Green card or
relationships with your "employer" such that they pay an offshore
trust for any consulting you might do.


This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Thu Jul 27 2000 - 14:03:29 MDT