Re: What is ExI up to?
Max More (email@example.com)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:11:08 -0700
At 02:06 PM 7/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Pardon me if I'm scratching my head here but what I think my membership
>dues should be producing more than two book reviews. What is ExI
>accomplishing in 1998?!
ExI hasn't done as much this year as I'd like to see, but it's certainly
done more than that. If we could afford a marketing director, you certainly
wouldn't get the job. :-)
- A whole bunch of new material was added to Extropy Online around the
beginning of the year.
- New reviews have been added recently.
- Derek has made a number of changes to the web site.
- More articles have been worked on for EO, and they are in process. Sasha
can tell you more about that. For instance, there is a major Singularity
feature under construction with numerous writers.
- The newsletter came out in March, and the next (overdue) issue will be
out within a week.
- The NodeNet idea has gone through a number of revisions as we figure out
what we can realistically do with our severely limited resources. We've
finally simplified it to the point where it's ready to launch. Two initial
NodeNet forums are being set up as I type. Subscriptions to the Investing
in the Future and the Legal Issues of the Future forums will be accepted
within days. More forums will soon follow.
- Some groundwork has been done to plan the EXTRO 4 conference. A focus has
been identified, potential speakers listed and some contacted, and various
other details thought out.
- We have set up a new members-only email list, the Extropians-Select list.
- Various local meetings have taken place in several places in the US.
- Extropy Institute has responded to a number of media inquiries, leading
to the publication of our ideas. (The UK's .net magazine even printed The
Extropian Principles as part of a positive article.)
- A booksigning was held for Jim Halperin's First Immortal.
- A new group, focusing on technology investing was formed and has met
- Plans have been made to move ExI office admin to a full-time office where
it can be taken care of more quickly. This is happening, and will be
completed in two weeks.
As I said, we'd all like to do much more. We are more limited than ever by
having NOT ONE paid staff member -- not even someone to work on projects
part time. Everything is done by volunteers when they have time.
In the year ahead, I look forward to making our fourth conference a
reality, and making it the biggest, best, and most informative and
influential ever. I look forward to the development of the NodeNet and,
under the new hand of Sasha Chislenko, I look forward to the expansion of
material on Extropy Online. As volunteer energy allows, I also hope to see
considerable development of the web site.
Max More, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org (soon also: <email@example.com>)
Consulting services on the impact of advanced technologies
President, Extropy Institute: