> Since I don't truly understand the question "Do you believe in
> God" because
> God in this statement is undefined, and asking for a definition seems to
> only obfuscate further,
> what could I call myself if I simply think it is an incomprehensible
In principle, ASKING for clarification of the question does
NOT obfuscate but you are right in PRACTICE. It (almost)
always leads to obfuscation because answers tend to fall into
one of a few (ambigous categories):
1) The questioner means, "Do you believe in MY GOD?"
2) Or the other form of 1, "Do you believe (in what
everyone obviously knows) is the ONE, TRUE God?"
3) The questioner does NOT know what the original
question -- or at least the word 'god' meant in
4) The question doesn't really care about your beliefs
just in HOW you will answer the question....
5) [Seldom seen] The questioner REALLY wants to know how YOU
will define God -- and is willing to consider the answer as
valid since it is YOUR belief.
Herb Martin, MCT, MCSD, MCSE
512 388 7339 -or- 1 800 MCSE PRO
Accelerated MCSE in a Week Seminars
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Fri Oct 12 2001 - 14:39:44 MDT