Re: Greg Burch: Time to Act
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:40:09 EDT
Contrary to my usual practice, I am dashing off unedited posts because of the
volume of traffic developing on the "gun moratorium". Here's some not
particularly well-organized thoughts on the matter:
- My announcement of a TEMPORARY MORATORIUM on the subject of guns was NOT
intended as an act of censorship, but rather as a very temporary means to
address the many complaints about list quality that had been building as a
result of the volume of posts on the subject and the incivility of some of
- I was frankly amazed to see any new "gun posts" -- It seemed to me that any
person who had seen the activity on the list over the last few weeks would
simply take the opportunity to let the subject die down for a while.
- I did not anticipate that I would be too busy during this week to address
issues that arose as a result of this TEMPORARY MORATORIUM.
- I TRIED to send an offlist note to everyone who posted on a gun thread.
I've appaently missed at least one person who should have gotten a note.
- I received many off list replies that posters had either missed the
announcement or interpreted it in good faith differently than I had intended
it. This has made it difficult for me to immediately and automatically
enforce the previously announced sanction without devoting some thought to
the posters' situations on a case-by-case basis